Here are my top 12 KY Derby contenders/prospects:
1) To Honor And Serve - Has been my top one since last October. Love this guy's pedigree and tail-female line that comes out of the great Family 4 (4-r, Cub Mare), which has produced the most Preakness and Belmont winners. THAS has 2 very nice Reine-de-course mares Java Moon and her dam Golden Trail in his tail-female line as well. So, this guy is stacked with stamina influences starting with his BMS, Deputy Minister, who has produced some great daughters (like Better Than Honour) that have themselves produced Belmont winners Rags To Riches, Jazil and Sarava and the great Curlin. THAS also has stamina influences from Nijinsky and Graustark who are both designated Classic/Solid Chef-de-races. Had a very nice work last Sunday getting 5f in 1:00.80.
2) Elite Alex - His daddy is one of my favorite horses of all time and I picked him out as a 2-yo when I saw his awesome late kick in the BC Juvy. EA has a great pedigree with a tail-female line that includes some great Chef-de-race Classic influences like Nureyev, Secretariat, Prince John, Alibhai, Mahmoud and Clarissimus. EA also has some great Reine-de-course mares like Gay Hostess, Your Hostess and Boudoir. So, this guy has the pedigree/bloodlines to excel at the classic distances.
3) Brethren - Was spectacular in the SFD yesterday. Will be very dangerous as he improves and stretches out. Has a great pedigree and one of the best tail-female lines of all the Derby contenders.
4) Dialed In - How good can this guy be? And how far can he go? He's a great runner and could get even better. Dangerous!
5) Rogue Romance - I love this guy. He's training very well. Has a great tail-female line that goes back to the great broodmare, Plucky Liege. He's going to be a very good runner no matter the surface or distance.
6) Machen - He's my sleeper pick even though he's getting some attention. Though, most people are focused on Mo, THAS, Brethren and Dialed In. I loved his last race with that strong late kick. My favorite kind of horse is one with a very strong late kick like Afleet Alex and Street Sense had. How far can he go though?
7) Casper's Touch - Will have no problem getting the Classic distances as he has tons of stamina influences. I think he's going to be very good come April/May. Watch out for this guy!!
8) Sway Away - Love this guy's pedigree. Has a very nice tail-female line that includes Reine-de-course mares Late Date, Herd Girl and Torpenhow and some great horses like BMS Seattle Slew, Summer Squall, Mr. Prospector, Nashua, Whirlaway and Colin. Will be one to watch!!
9) Bench Points - Had a nice score Friday in a 6f AlowOC race at SA crossing the wire in a fast 1:08 and change. Is 4 for 4 and will be another one to watch on the trail.
10) Wilkinson - I like this little guy, but how good is he? We'll find out in his next Derby prep against better competition.
11) Manicero - This guy is another sleeper! I like his pedigree a lot! Comes out of the great Family 8 (8-c, Woodbine). Family 8 has produced the great broodmare, Better Than Honour. This guy has plenty of stamina influences with Princequillo in the X-passing position and many European influences like Assert who was a champion in France as a 3-yo and his BMS and Chef-de-race, Sea-Bird.
12) Awesome Patriot - How good can this guy be? Has the pedigree to excel against this talented 3-yo class. Dam is full-sister to the great Tiznow. Eager to see his next start which should be The Southwest at Oaklawn.